White People! Just Give Up, You Can’t Win…

People love to tell me that they often forget that I’m black. They say this with a sort of “a-ha!” look on their faces, as if their dawning ability to see my blackness was a gift to us both.

When I point out that their eyesight had never left them, that my skin has never changed colors, and that they probably did not really forget that I am black, they inevitably get defensive.

Funny, that…

First, they try to argue that it was a compliment; the smart ones quickly realize that complimenting someone on not being black is actually pretty racist, so they switch gears.

I don’t see race! is usually their next tactic, followed by I am colorblind, though they never give credit to Stephen Colbert. By “colorblind” they don’t actually mean that they can’t see green or red; rather, they are suggesting that they can’t ever be racist, because they don’t register skin color at all.

What was that Martin Luther King said..? Something about the content of character, rather than colour of skin? The old racist.

This ideology is very popular – like a racial utopic version of the Golden Rule – but it’s actually quite racist.

Well, of course it is. Stands to reason.

“Colorblindness” doesn’t acknowledge the very real ways in which racism has existed and continues to exist, both in individuals and systemically. By professing not to see race, you’re just ignoring racism, not solving it.

Well, of course you are. Stands to reason.

Nearly 70% … shockingly believe that we make society better by not seeing race or ethnicity.

Those idiots! What do they know? Why, it’d be a society in which people like Stafford would have to get a real job, or something!

… that ideology does present a very interesting question: If you were truly unable to see people’s skin color, could you still be racist?

I’m betting the answer is ‘Yes, of course you would be, whitey!’ and I’m not disappointed…

Our justice system is built on the idea that being blind is the same thing as being fair<./b>; our courts use portray justice as a blindfolded goddess, to symbolize the objectivity we equate with being unaware of appearances. She, too, is supposed to be colorblind – but, given the disproportionate number of men of color in our prisons, and the tendency to prosecute them at disproportional rates, that’s not exactly true, either.

Because that’s got nothing to do with their actions, but only the racist system, right?

19 comments for “White People! Just Give Up, You Can’t Win…

1. john in cheshire
    February 3, 2015 at 12:05 pm

A few years ago a couple, who are friends of mine, were on a cruise. At meal time the first evening they were seated at a table of blacks. No sooner had they sat down when one of them said words to the effect we don’t want whites at our table. Of course that’s not racist because blacks were saying it;imagine the furore if it had been the other way round.

2. ivan
    February 3, 2015 at 12:25 pm

This sound like the standard rant of someone trying to justify himself because he is ashamed of his colour and the antics of those like him.

The big problem is that those in power with a guilt complex based on actions in the dim and distant past are trying to bend over the white population and force them to accept that non existing guilt (they very conveniently forget that the blacks were the instigators of the slave trade).

• February 8, 2015 at 8:42 am

Spot on!

3. mark in mayenne
    February 3, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Did not Dawn French say of her husband Lenny Henry : He didn’t tell me he was black”

• Ed P
      February 3, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Did he mention he’s not funny either?

• Flyinthesky
        February 3, 2015 at 5:21 pm

He also pretends to be cosmopolitan and racially neutral, he’s not that either.
        I tend to like who I like whatever the colour or creed, I have friends and aquaintances of many different persuasions, where I find a problem is it would create no issue at all if I didn’t like a particular Frenchman whereas expressing the same position with a Kenyan would have a very different set of connotations.

• February 8, 2015 at 8:42 am

😆

4. Viscount Rectum
    February 3, 2015 at 6:01 pm

God was the first racist, he preferred Jews to all others and when handing out IQ”s gave certain Asians a greater portion than us whites but he gave sub-saharan Africans even less hence we bend over backwards (or forwards) to pretend they are equal.

• Errol
      February 3, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I don’t thinnk black people are any different to white ones. The main difference is chemicals in the skin and a long sunburn.

What I genuinely don’t understand is how we managed to have the industrial revolution and changed our culture and much of Africa didn’t.

Was it an abundance of energy? Fuels? Education? Stable government? Or were we simply forced to by a lack of resources?

I find it annoying that all the deeply bigoted racists want their own way and ignore the rights of others, shouting racist to asuage their own ego.

• mona
        February 4, 2015 at 7:47 am

Hi Errol by your name only I will assume you are not white, vist Tanzania rescue an Albino child before it is skinned and its body parts used as lucky charms people out there buy them, still I suppose its only brainwashing like get your kids vaccinated in Wales where kids already vaccinated against measels were catching it, got to keep selling those vaccines.

• Furor Teutonicus
        February 4, 2015 at 10:50 am

It was because the bloody coons were quite happy to sit on their fat arses all day, taking the odd break to shit in their drinking water, waiting for humans to invent those big horseless carraige thingies that bring tons of free goodies from the great white god “UN.”

It was EITHER that, or they are thick bastards who could not tie their own shoe laces without endangering entire populations of small towns.

Take you pick; Thick as pig shit, or lazy as fuck.

• Harry
      February 4, 2015 at 11:09 pm

From what I can grasp God chose the Israelites, not the Jews. Not all Israelites are Judahites (Tribe/House of Judah) and not all Judahites are Jews (those that say they are etc). It appears to be an important distinction.

5. Errol
    February 3, 2015 at 6:29 pm

A confident, intelligent individual doesn’t define themselves as a colour, but by who they are. Trying to get preferential treatment, to accuse others of racism because *they don’t care that you’re black* is not only pathetic, it screams that the individual feels inferior and irrelevant – which they are for their own bigotry and racism.

One of my best friends is coal black. I don’t care. To me, he’s Wedji a man who cannot be allowed near power tools yet is a spinal/cranial surgeon. It is *who* he is that I care about. Not what colour he is.

• February 8, 2015 at 8:43 am

Indeed so. Didn’t Martin Luther King say colour shouldn’t be a decider?

6. Hereward unbowed.
    February 3, 2015 at 6:59 pm

The very essence of mankind, into our genetic code it is programmed, all that we are, only animals – as the Darwinians are so fond of pointing out – we are descended from nematoid entities. It cannot be denied: it is written into our DNA code.

As Peter Hitchens alluded to and so pertinently, was pointing out in the MOS the other week. During the 2011 riots, which were an upwelling of pure wanton lust for violent mayhem and at the back of that – a existential propensity for lawlessness coupled with an utter contempt for any vague adherence to what may be termed ‘civil society’. Plainly, underneath the skin deep ‘Homo Sapiens’ exterior, is the beast within – a Chimpanzee roars defiance! The DNA of humans and chimps is so similar, that, only ±1% is at variance.

“racism” is that what you call it?

“racism” an emotive term hijacked by the church of the liberal left. I will no longer recognize the term, it renders unto some people to display faux paroxysms of sanctimony and all the time, a seepage of drivelling guff.

Inbreeding.

Deep down in the area of the human brain lurks the fear factory. In medical terminology, it is so named as the Amygdala – its a friend of and still on speaking terms with, our close ancestors, the aforementioned chimpanzees.
    In the great scheme of things, human beings count three score and ten as being a fair span, but to the evolutionary cycle it is not even a spit in the ocean. You see, we may think that we are civilized and cultured but the truth of it, is so far away from that conceited delusion – that human beings are civilized – it’s off the bloody scale.
    Today in the news are pictures of just what evil mankind can do to another, a Jordanian man, a Muslim man – bound in a cage and burnt ALIVE by a bunch of men purporting to be from that same ‘religion’ – it’s a form of barbarity I cannot ever wish to fathom, least of all condone. These ‘men’ burning a fellow Muslim – were of the same tribe, just think what they have planned for people of a different persuasion……….

One of the reasons we were born ‘wick’, fast on our feet and given the limbic system, in order that we could protect ourselves from the Chimps just the other side of the river – it’s a human thing, we cannot deny it.

Go figure.

7. Ed P
    February 3, 2015 at 10:21 pm

As guns are out, I’m honing my archery skills. Protect and survive was the name of a leaflet offering ludicrous advice on what to do in a nuclear war. Hiding under the kitchen table was one of theirs – how we laughed!

8. grandpa1940
    February 5, 2015 at 9:49 pm

So this little boy says to his Daddy; “Daddy, why do we have black skin?”

And his Daddy replied, “Son, its because of our coloured skin we can stand the fierce heat of Equatorial Africa; our black skin absorbs the heat, and disperses it through our sweat glands; that’s why.”

So, Daddy, why do we have big, flat feet?”

“Son, its because we can run for miles through the African jungle, with our feet absorbing the punishment without any damage.”

“Daddy, why do we have big, thick lips?”

“Son, its so that we can absorb cool liquids faster in the fierce tropical heat of Africa when we get thirsty!”

“All that being so, Daddy, what the hell are we doing living in Tower Hamlets?”

• February 8, 2015 at 8:43 am

LOL!

9. February 10, 2015 at 6:59 pm

I’m not normally one to get offended, but I actually AM colourblind (green/red) and I am getting mighty peeved with all these pious i-have-a-black-friend racists using my very real thing (I want to say condition but its not that big of a deal really) like some throwaway excuse.