A four-year-old was left permanently scarred after her pre-school staff gave children sparklers to play with.
But this is what you get when you farm out childcare responsibility to the lowest-paid staff the employer can get away with…
Despite the accident on November 3 leaving Alice with a permanent scar under her chin and a burn at the base of her neck, Charlotte says she was told “it’s not that bad” by the pre-school’s nurse when she arrived to pick her daughter up after hearing of the incident.
Charlotte, who is also a nursery nurse, claims staff misled her when they phoned her and asked her to come and pick Alice up, telling her “it’s nothing to worry about”.
My guess is they do this so that mothers don’t panic, but even so..!
A spokeswoman for the pre-school refused to confirm whether any action was taken against the staff member who gave Alice to sparkler, but said the accident was “during a fully supervised adult-led activity”, adding: “First Aid was administered on site.
“An investigation into the accident was carried out by an independent agency and new procedures were put into place.”
But you missed out ‘Lessons have been learned’…