But If My House Is On Fire, That’s Just What I Want!

…Cotton is candid about being one of the few women in a male-dominated workforce.

“One single thing that would help bring more women into the service? Stop saying ‘fireman’. How many people still use that?” she says. “It would make a real difference if people stopped. Why did they have to go for Fireman Sam? What’s wrong with Firefighter Sam? We have to change that perception of a six foot hairy-arsed bloke who can kick a door down.

…not someone whose main role seems to be nitpicking language.

“Women make fantastic firefighters,” she says. “If all you want to do is leap on the big red shiny engine and be a hero then the fire service is probably not for you anyway.

Wha..?

“Perhaps 70% of our work now is fire prevention, social engagement, communicating with different types of people in the community.”

That long march through the institutions never even stopped for lunch, did it?

10 comments for “But If My House Is On Fire, That’s Just What I Want!

1. Bob H
    March 10, 2017 at 9:50 am

They had to reduce the fitness standards so that women could qualify.

I remember years back a fireMAN saying he needed to know that if he collapsed in a house, his colleagues could lift him out, and there was no way the women firefighters had the upper body strength to do that.

But heyho, the need for Political Correctness supersedes human life.

• March 13, 2017 at 7:05 am

As always, dogma will be defeated by physical reality. Pity about the collateral damage.

2. Radical Rodent
    March 10, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Got it in one, Bob H.

Curious how so many women are attracted to the more “glamorous” jobs – smart uniforms, out “saving lives.” How many bin-ladies have you seen? How many women sweep the streets?

• John in cheshire
      March 10, 2017 at 1:54 pm

And how many social(ist) workers are men? They don’t seem to have a problem when it’s they who are over-represented.

• Radical Rodent
        March 10, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Similarly how no-one gets upset with the evident racial inequality on the top league football teams, with its high prevalence of dark-skinned players – also on the running track.

3. Errol
    March 10, 2017 at 9:03 pm

If you can do the job, you can do it – it doesn’t matter if you’re male or female. Simply put a woman cannot lift a 6′ 100kg man from a burning building.

All too often the feminists don’t want equality – they’ve got that – they want special treatment, a free leg up. Thus we get ‘quotas’ which is the precise opposite of equality. Feminists don’t seem to acknowledge the irony.

4. March 11, 2017 at 6:09 am

Over thirty years ago I was a governor at the infants’ school which
    our own children had attended a few years before. The school put on an art exhibition. The children were asked to paint a picture of someone at work and to give it a caption with a brief description of the job being done.

One lad had produced a very dramatic picture which he titled ” A Fireman” and then a few words describing the scene. The teacher had corrected “fireman” to the gender-neutral ” fire fighter” but errors of spelling and punctuation were uncorrected. PC rules OK!

When I asked why the mistakes had not been corrected, I was told that would be ” too discouraging”.

I remarked ” How can the lad be expected to get things right, if you won’t tell him when he’s wrong?”

To which, I received no reply but what I describe as a professional, “caring” teacherly smile

• March 11, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Everything the lad does is wrong. Did you miss the memo?

• March 11, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Obviously I did, which was why my cooption was not renewed.
        At a governors’ meeting, a paper called a ” curriculum development statement” turned up.

I said ” Hang on a minute. This is something we are supposed to produce and we haven’t discussed it”

I got another of those professionL teacherly smiles from the headmistress ( whoops ! Head teacher). This, she said, was something which the Local Education Authority had sent “to help us”.

It contained the pearl ” It is the school’s policy to make the STUDENTS responsible for their own learning” ( This was an infants’ school, remember.)

I said ” I am sorry but they are just too little to do your job”

Not even the two token Tories on the board could crack a smile.

Apart from the few secondary schools which had decided to opt out of council control, every school in the county endorsed this solemn nonsense with all the spontaneity of a North Korean general election.

• March 13, 2017 at 7:07 am

Token Tories are the only sort that seem to be exist now… ?