This is not good

Firstly, the Bannon resignation has shocked Trump’s base and Twitter is awash with it all.

Far more worrying to me is the way social media is being trolled. Three examples:

1. My gmail has started giving me suggested replies to those who write to me. Think about that for a moment – even if it’s just key words triggering these responses, they’re still scanning every message.

2. On the Google search page, they are trying to track down my postcode – just why they think I’ll be pleased they can is beyond me. I don’t respond because:

a. There’s nowhere to respond to;
b. The code’s wrong.

3. Someone made a comment at Breitbart [with the Bannon story] a short while back and noted that Disqus is leftwing. What’s for sure is that this evening, Breitbart has been swamped by leftist trolls, to the point they’re hunting down apparent rightwing comments, e.g. mine, and attacking them. This comes through every minute at my email – it’s a barrage.

Breitbart comments were never mostly like that. You got trolls, yes, but maybe 10-15%. This right now was about 70-75% leftist, so that the usual 2 or 3000 comments from us have been swamped completely. Further, they’re gloating – one came through just now. And here’s another.

What that means is that with Trump having now got rid of his second last staffer from his base which got him elected, he is now in the hands of the very neocons the base detests and the only outlet, now Fox has gone, was Breitbart.

So people are retreating to Twitter as I write but regulars are being taken down there too.

In short, the war escalated this evening. Social media was the one place they could not control us – now it seems they can.

There are, of course, blogs but at my place, my most regular commenters for a month or so are being blocked and it’s nothing I’m doing. I’ve asked about it and there seems no technical reason why.

This is not looking good.

10 comments for “This is not good

1. Mona
    August 18, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Stop worrying, Trump is the Bull in the Democrats china shop, they are running out of false flags, he knows that shooting his mouth off and twitter storming enrages them. That man Trump is a hard man indeed.

2. Errol
    August 18, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Google sells you. I thought this was well known? Google flog your data. They not only scan, but deep scan your emails and categorise them, track them and use that information to build a profile about you which they then sell to advertisers.

As for the Left: they’re everywhere, constantly trying to suppress the truth, debate and discussion. Call them out on that. It frightens them.

3. rapscallion
    August 19, 2017 at 9:41 am

“but at my place, my most regular commenters for a month or so are being blocked”

Yeah, I noticed that too. of my last 6 postings only two have got through.

4. Henry Kaye
    August 19, 2017 at 11:44 am

James, Your comments here and those in reply are very disturbing. I don’t usually have anything very controversial to say but if my agreement with many of your views is “upsetting”Google and they are responding as you suggest, then I am horrified. Is there no end to the ways that “interested” parties will go to implant their own ideology and suppress those who speak differently?

• August 19, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Henry, we’re getting it in the neck mildly.

It comes down to traffic and how much ‘reach’ one has. This used to be easy to determine but there are people who put you onto lists and you never know, you’re syndicated and so forth. In UK terms we’re middling bloggers but in US terms, we’re small fry.

The only concrete figure I’ve had of late is last month on Twitter when I reached 93,000 but again, that pales next to the Americans.

So there’s not much incentive for the trolls to come after us and I put the commenting issues down to system glitches rather than anything more nefarious.

At OoL and NO, the naughty people can certainly get through initially – we assume they will – but we have some nasty surprises ourselves thanks to the techie people who maintain the two sites.

Bottom line is that we’re not important enough nor influential enough to warrant major attack, not like Prison Planet or Michelle Malkin. And if they do, we just go to one of our other sites and start over.

So it’s not something you’d need to worry about. As for their morality, w-e-e-e-l-l-l, what morality?

• Henry Kaye
        August 19, 2017 at 1:05 pm

Thanks James, I suppose I must be a bit of an innocent despite my many years! I’ve recently learned otherwise, though, and I’m thankful that you don’t feel too damaged by this “threat”. I know that there have always been people with different ideas, what does bother me, though, is how today’s technology has become such a weapon for them. Keep writing and I’ll keep reading!

5. janets
    August 19, 2017 at 12:15 pm

This is a good resource for ways of breaking free https://prism-break.org/en/all/

I picked it up via Dave Cullen (YouTube Computing Forever channel), well worth checking out.

• August 19, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Cheers, shall follow up.

6. Mona
    August 19, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Trump is now free to spend time listening to Bannon at Brietbart, Mueller a deep state man may end up looking up from the bottom of the swamp, meanwhile Trump is getting on with it,

7. Mona
    August 20, 2017 at 10:23 am

Mueller will not try to interview Assange, it might be the Titantic hitting the iceberg, who would be the iceberg?.