The Infantilisation Of Society Continues…

Adults have ‘forgotten’ how to chew their food properly, experts have warned on the back of startling new statistics that show a spike in deaths from choking.

Yes, it is of course a sales pitch. But it’s coming off the back of statistics that show a measurable increase, and it’s hardly surprising, given the way so many adults & pre-adults have been taught to behave, is it?

Emma Hammett, founder of First Aid For Life, told MailOnline that people laughing or talking while eating is a primary cause of choking.

She also warned about the art of throwing objects into the air to then catch in the mouth, and cutting food up into perfect circles for children.

So basically, over-indulgence, laziness and entitlement are killing some of us. Welcome to the future.

6 comments for “The Infantilisation Of Society Continues…

1. Ed P
    October 27, 2017 at 12:48 pm

The vile detritus outside high street fast-food concerns, on public transport, blowing in the wind down country roadsides etc., was unknown 40 or more years ago. No-one choked to death then, as we all sat at a table to eat, using cutlery (& having washed our hands first).
    Do today’s young know how to eat properly, sitting down, using cutlery, conversing with one another (but never with their mouths full) & only chewing with their mouths shut?
    If a few choke due to their disgusting habits, so what?

2. October 27, 2017 at 1:53 pm

There’s a terrible mis-use of the word ‘art’ in that quote

3. Mudplugger
    October 27, 2017 at 3:42 pm

But looking on the bright side, there’s a Darwinian element in play which will help to out-sort the hard-of-thinking, so Ms Hammett should leave them to it for the greater good.

4. Hereward Unbowed.
    October 27, 2017 at 4:16 pm

I don’t know but if scoffing food is wrong, then I am as guilty as the rest. And then there is nothing more civilized than eating a leisurely meal with friends and in some suitable taverna, dining room etc.

But then food to me is a means to an end, it’s just sumpfink we’ve gotta do and when I am famished until the void is filled, there are no bounds nor rules but never, never to excess.

It is a thing though to watch others eat, holding a knife and being able to use it – are separate skills and then exactitude to placing grub in the mouth, some foods are impossible to eat ‘correctly’ innit?

No lie! I watched some kid [about 20-22] eat a meal in a carvery with his hands, gravy and all, his bint said nothing – if my dearest grandmama had been in attendance, she’d have slapped the both of them.

To me, it’s life, eating, behaviour has always been a meld betwixt; character, obsession, upbringing, sheer bloody mindedness, dextrous ability and hand eye coordination, expediency, decorum, education and etiquette and lots more besides.
    Now bring me some wine, oh never mind I’ll fetch it myself.

5. Stonyground
    October 27, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Mudplugger beat me to making the exact point that I was going to make. I would have thought that you would have loved this story Julia, for precisely that reason. Given a few million years of this kind of thing, humans could potentially evolve into an intelligent species. The way that it stands at the moment is that humans believe that they can think in the same way that chickens believe that they can fly.

6. Stonyground