For Those In Peril On The Sea…

Appel, who has been sailing the Hawaiian islands for a decade, said she had planned the voyage, which should take three weeks, for more than two years but that the pair were perhaps not as prepared as they should have been.

There’s a lot of that about, as MacHeath unfailingly chronicles….

“I had no idea what I was getting myself into,” she said.

“When I asked Natasha, I told her I have no idea what’s going to happen out there and she said, ‘That’s OK, I’ve never sailed.’”

And of course, it’s not called ‘the cruel sea’ for nothing!

The pair, who were accompanied by their dogs, ran into trouble almost immediately when they hit a storm off Hawaii. Their engine was crippled, their mast was damaged and things went downhill from there.

As their sailboat drifted helplessly in the middle of the Pacific for months, their water purifier broke, sharks started ramming their vessel, food ran low and their distress calls and signal flares went unanswered day after day.

It’d take a heart of stone, wouldn’t it?

As the months passed, the pair discovered they were going through their food much faster than they had anticipated. Ninety percent was gone by the time they were rescued, some of it having been fed to their dogs after their pet food ran out.

“The dogs turned out to really like human food,” Appel said.

A lot,” Fuiava added.

A few more months, and you might have discovered they like human as food just as much!

Although the US Navy declared the Sea Nymph no longer seaworthy, Appel said she hoped to eventually recover it and perhaps take it out again.

“Well, you got to die sometime,” Appel said. “You may as well be doing something you enjoy when you’re doing it, right?”

8 comments for “For Those In Peril On The Sea…

1. October 30, 2017 at 9:40 am

I may be accused of sacrilege, or at least of condoning a mini-massacre, but why on earth did these two (well, I was going to call them idiots, but that would have been a gratuitous insult to all idiots) gatherings of DNA; not either kill and eat the dogs, or at least throw them overboard to feed the sharks?

Just think of the expense of a US Navy ship detailed to rescue these two specimens.

• October 31, 2017 at 6:51 am

The Navy is out there, paid for and able to get crew training benefit from a rescue such as that. The Navy cost ain’t the problem.

Their problem, I hazard, was not rigging or sheets but not having a man with them to do things and blame.

What do you call a lady sailor dickhead? Other pertinent questions that other women of similar ilk might ask is what they did for clothes washing and who did the dishes? Did they run low on cosmetics? Toilet tissue run low too? Who cleaned the heads and how often?

These may seem like trivial questions but they could help others to be better prepared.

2. John Tee
    October 30, 2017 at 11:17 am

I can’t help noticing that the video of them being rescued shows a boat with a mast. I wonder in what way the mast was “damaged”? Could they really not rig up a sail somehow?

• November 5, 2017 at 7:38 am

I doubt either of them knew what a sail was!

3. Mudplugger
    October 30, 2017 at 11:43 am

As they say, the truth is out there somewhere – probably somewhat distant from the flaky version available so far.
    Is there maybe a book in it, a movie, a magazine feature, a TV series . . . . . . ?

4. October 30, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Looks just as serviceable as my yacht and mine was given to me free. I suspect that the bits of string (halyards) that haul the sails up snapped, leaving them without the ability to hoist the sails. But in 5 months they couldn’t rig some way of climbing the mast and getting a rope up top?

And they lost the halyards for TWO sails??

No, hang on, there’s a bit of string from the top of the mast to the end of the boom. Yep, they could have hoist the sail with that….

Hmmm….

5. October 31, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for the link – truly the human race never ceases to astonish, at least as far as the sea is concerned!

Mudplugger has probably hit the nail on the head, particularly since their account now appears not to be standing up to scrutiny.

However, such is the nature of celebrity that, even if they are summarily debunked, we can probably expect a ‘How I tried to hoax the public’ book/film etc in a few months’.

• November 5, 2017 at 7:39 am

Oh, indeed, there’s a book deal lurking just as surely as those sharks!