It’s Called ‘Progress’ For A Reason…

Carle believes the mass-produced sandwich, two billion of which are eaten every year in France, is a “symbol of a loss of savoir faire and rampant consumerism”.

His generation’s reaction to this was a quest to regain the ability to make things for themselves, he said.

In the documentary, Carle speaks to a philosopher, a survivalist, and back-to-nature enthusiasts attempting to reproduce the daily life of prehistoric mankind, including rubbing sticks to make fire.

“Work life is less and less satisfying to the point of making us unhappy. It’s almost vital to find something else to do,” Carle said, adding that the increasing distance between the consumer and the point of production had left many frustrated.

Sounds a lot like it leaves him ‘frustrated’, and like a lot of wackademics these days, that just must be true of everyone else, right?

“The modern world leaves us feeling useless with our hands; we feel a need to do something with them, to get them dirty. It seemed ridiculous to me that I was proud of having planted tomatoes. It’s so much easier to go out and buy whatever we want that the real challenge becomes in actually making it ourselves. I think, in some senses, we are voluntarily going backwards.”

You might be. The rest of us are heading forwards, thanks very much.

Was the sandwich any good?

“It was excellent, great,” Carle said.

“If I’m being honest, the bread was a bit dry but even if it had been disgusting, I’d have found it absolutely delicious.”

So, we can clearly trust your judgement. Not!

8 comments for “It’s Called ‘Progress’ For A Reason…

1. Stonyground
    March 16, 2018 at 3:20 pm

I’m not unhappy. I’m also capable of doing things for myself but I sometimes prefer to pay someone else to do it, it’s nice to have a choice.

• Voice of Reason
      March 16, 2018 at 7:26 pm

That’s where I sit. It is satisfying to make things for oneself, but I don’t want to do it all.

2. Hereward Unbowed.
    March 17, 2018 at 9:59 am

I’ll throw one in, without division of labour, we’d still all be toiling in our own ever decreasing fields.

Going to the butty shop enables you more time to design and build the bridges, service the engines of industry and you keeping the wheels in motion so to speak – oil the mills to rolling. If the butty shop people are polite, make good butties and go home with a few quid – bingo.

3. Ed P
    March 17, 2018 at 10:49 am

Perhaps he’s just unhappy because the French lack a word of their own for “Le sandwich”?

• Stonyground
      March 18, 2018 at 7:57 pm

The French do have a word for Sandwich:

Deux morceaux de pain avec quelque chose au milieu.

4. Pcar
    March 17, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Mr French wackademic dislikes the sandwich because the sandwich is British.

Thank you John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich

Meanwhile, France gave us the Baguette – a bread design that goes stale faster than most others.

5. March 18, 2018 at 10:37 am

In two minds on this one. A nice sandwich is nice.

6. March 19, 2018 at 11:12 am

I can make a sandwich. And I can do it without washing my hands.