Art Appreciation: Yer Doin’ It…..Right, Actually!

A mural meant to show what is great about Croydon has been ruined by “hate-filled scratches” just weeks after it was put up.

Alec Saunders, AKA Colourblind created his Stormzy artwork in an effort to shine a positive light on town.

It really does need it. But perhaps more graffiti wasn’t the best way to go….

“It has been very frustrating that a bitter, drunken fascist has defaced my mural by throwing sauce and inflicting deep, hate filled scratches into the piece,” Mr Saunders said.

‘Sauce’…? Doesn’t that just wash off?

The Minster Junior School art teacher said work like his was meant to challenge people’s views on society.

It’s just confirming my view of Croydon ‘society’, actually.

This latest show of destruction had him thinking twice about continuing on with his work, but he said that thought quickly left his head.

I doubt thoughts linger there long anyway….

“Thankfully, I wouldn’t let a few hate-filled individuals ever stop me from creating art; if anything, it’s just fires me up, infinitely.”

Sounds more like a warning than a promise…

14 comments for “Art Appreciation: Yer Doin’ It…..Right, Actually!

1. Penseivat
    May 14, 2018 at 9:39 am

Isn’t it strange that when damage is caused to a ‘mural’ painted by some left wing twonk, it is by a “drunken fascist”, while any mural damaged by a left winger, would be by someone “protesting about the inequalities in our society”. Anyway, socialism is another form of fascism, so perhaps it was one of his own?
    Having seen the ‘Muriel’ (bless you, Hilda Ogden), perhaps Mr Saunders aka should be “Tasteless and untalented”.

2. john in cheshire
    May 14, 2018 at 3:08 pm

The comments under this article in the Croydon Guardian (how surprising – is it affiliated to a big brother by any chance?) are quite good, in that they aren’t in the least supportive of this commie idiot. Of course, it’s no surprise that he’s a teacher; God help the children he teaches.

However, I didn’t know Croydon was in Africa, or is it that the graffitist is not white, or is it that there are no longer any white people in Croydon?

• Mudplugger
      May 14, 2018 at 3:44 pm

You’ve obviously not been to Croydon recently, probably not since the airport moved out.

My advice, John, is to stay in Cheshire: despite Wilmslow, it’s a tad more civilised than Croydon.

3. Stonyground
    May 14, 2018 at 6:51 pm

The name Muriel sometimes used to be applied to big yellow four wheel drive tractors too. Google Muir Hill 171 and you will see what I am referring to.

4. Pcar
    May 15, 2018 at 12:56 am

@Penseivat, May 14, 2018 at 9:39 am

5. Pcar
    May 15, 2018 at 12:58 am

I’ve lived in Wallington, Sunbury (Wheatley Eyot), Feltham and Hayes before Blair era “London Mayor” aka more Gov’t & public sector leeches

Is Croydon part of Khan’s Londonistan/Khanistan?

6. May 15, 2018 at 2:33 am

One of my regular updates on Twitter, as Julia could confirm, ls the latest from Sutton and Croydon. LOL.

• Pcar
      May 15, 2018 at 11:15 pm

@James

Related to Gisela?

• May 16, 2018 at 6:27 pm

I did have a blog named Gisela. Or was that Griselda?

• Pcar
          May 16, 2018 at 8:48 pm

I thought you might be Gisela’s father.

7. May 16, 2018 at 10:13 pm

Who is this Gisela anyway? Never heard of her. I looked through Julia’s post and it doesn’t seem to be there.

• Pcar